November 18, 2007

Microsoft Stupid Keyboard

Now I know that my keyboard is almost 5 years old (why buy a new keyboard when you don't need it?), and I like the feel of the keyboard but it has one of the most stupid features I can imagine, the dreaded F Lock. Now, I like most Microsoft hardware, I used their mice for years -- though I must say my new Logitec Mouse is the cats pajamas, but some brainboxes at Microsoft decided that the function keys we all know and love, and use daily, need to be remapped to special keys that bear no relation to say the values displayed in the shortcuts on application menus. Or what the values that video games expect, etc. They added this key, that cannot be programmatically controlled, that in the hardware remaps for example F2 (which I use a lot for Rename in explorer) to Undo. You have no idea the havoc this warps your brain around early in the morning when you have forgotten the feature is enabled because Microsoft felt it was fine to reboot your computer in the middle of the night because it wanted to install the latest and greatest version of Windows Genuine Advantage (don't get me started on that).

Now, they have fixed this in Keyboards released after 2004 (the F Lock key remembers its setting between reboots), so my whining is really more of a lesson in what not to do for user interface. Do what the user expects, not what what you think they may want.

No comments: